Traffic Safety Bureau
About the Traffic Bureau
The City of Summit is proud to host numerous visitors throughout the year. Whether a visitor or resident is working in the City, attending a production at the Summit Play House, or enjoying a meal at one of the City's many fine dining restaurants, hundreds of thousands of cars and people utilize the roadways and sidewalks throughout Summit.
Given this high volume of motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic, the Traffic Services Bureau places targeted locus on ensuring that traffic laws are enforced throughout the City in order to provide a safe traveling enforcement far all.
Additionally, the Bureau facilitates educational campaigns which serve to enhance motorist and pedestrian awareness of these laws. These responsibilities, combined with ensuring roadway safety, conducting traffic volume studies, and placing appropriate traffic signage throughout the City, assist the Police Department in its mission to determine and ensure public safety.
If you would like to speak With Lieutenant David L. Richel, Commanding Officer Of the Traffic Bureau, or learn more about traffic services please see the following short list of services:
- Traffic Enforcement and motor vehicle law
- Pedestrian Safety
- Electronic message board management
- Child car seat inspections
- Speed and volume roadway surveys
- Roadway engineering evaluations
- Motor vehicle crash investigations
How May the Traffic Bureau Help You Today?*Please call for help with any of the following:
- I'd like to learn more about New Jersey's traffic laws
- I would like to apply to become a crossing guard
- Where can I park my car in Summit
- I received a traffic ticket and I would like to pay it.
- I would like to receive a copy of an accident report
- I was in a car accident and I didn't call the police at the time but I would like to file a report now.
- I'd like to park my car on the street overnight
- I need to report a traffic condition or accident
- I would like to report an unsafe traffic or roadway condition
- Cars are speeding on my street and I would like to speak to a Police Officer.