News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/25/2018 1:12:21 PM to 11/18/2018 12:10:04 AM.

News Flash

Fire Department

Posted on: September 25, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Using Generators Safely During Power Outages

generator use

The Summit Fire Department asks citizens to employ the following safety tips when using a generator:

  • Never use a generator inside a home, garage, crawl space, or other enclosed areas. Fatal carbon monoxide fumes can build up that neither a fan nor open doors and windows can properly ventilate.
  • Professionally installed stationary home generators produce carbon monoxide and can cause carbon monoxide to enter the home. Ensure openings near a generator are sealed shut.
  • Always use a generator outdoors in a location away from open windows, vents, or doors.
  • Always have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. Check to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when running a generator.
  • Use extension cords that are grounded and rated for generator use. Coiled cords can get extremely hot; always uncoil cords and lay flat in open locations.
  • Never plug a generator directly into a home outlet. If connecting a generator into a home electrical system, have a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch.
  • Take precautions to protect your generator from exposure to rain and snow, and never operate under wet conditions.

Facebook Twitter Email