Downtown Employee Parking
Summit has a vibrant downtown filled with shops, restaurants, and businesses. Employees who work in the downtown business district are able to park in designated municipal lots and garages. A downtown employee permit (PDF) is required and can be purchased and/or renewed online. Employee permits cost $10 per permit and requires an affidavit signed by the landlord or manager of place of employment. Once an employee has a permit, they must pay for parking each day. Employees over the age of 62 can apply for a senior permit (proper ID required) for $5. The daily parking fee is $4.
Downtown Employees can park in the following locations:
See Map (PDF) for exact locations.
- Broad Street Garage (Broad Street at Summit Avenue)
- Chestnut Avenue Lot (Broad Street at Chestnut Avenue)
- Elm Street Lot (Elm Street between Morris Avenue and Broad Street)
- Sampson Lot (corner of Morris Avenue and Summit Avenue at LCJSMS)
- Railroad Avenue Lot (behind the Post Office, between Broad Street and Railroad Avenue)
- Maple Street "K" Lot (behind CVS at Maple Street)
- Tier Garage-Upper Levels (Springfield Avenue at Maple Street)
- Elm Street – 48 street spaces available with a permit and the daily fee or prepayment up to 11 AM
Downtown Employee Green Bagged Meters
The City has employee parking at certain street meters on Springfield Avenue, Beechwood Road, Maple Avenue, and Morris Avenue. These are designated with Green Bags covering the meters. Any downtown employee with a employee parking permit can park at these green bagged meters. Payment can either be prepaid for the month, quarter, or year or through Parkmobile using Zone 1840. Prepay online here.
Finding Employee Parking
If you are finding it difficult to find employee parking, please contact Parking Services at 908-522-5100 to see where there may be availability. If there are no long-term parking spaces available, we will grant special permission for that day to park at an alternate location. Without the special permission, you are subject to ticketing if you are parking illegally. Please note that the fee to park in the Deforest lots for more than five hours is $50.